Winter Maintenance Checklist for Your Home
Follow these exterior and interior checklists for winter maintenance for your roof and both the exterior and interior of your home.
A winter maintenance checklist comes in handy for you to follow so you don’t neglect something that can potentially harm your home. Because the harsh weather during winter can cause wear and tear (not to mention actual damage) to your roof, it’s important to keep a close check on it while the cold temperatures and wet conditions befall us during the winter months.
Making preparations for the winter saves you money by improving the efficiency in keeping your home comfortable and warm. It’s important to note that getting a roof inspection before extreme weather develops is helpful in knowing exactly the state of your roof. And, if you are closing a seasonal vacation home or leaving your house for an extended period of time, you will definitely benefit from an inspection.
At Allied Roofing Solutions, your New Jersey roofers, we have a team of experts who are knowledgeable about roofs–during an inspection, they know how to diagnose any existing or potential issues that can lead to disasters during winter weather. Additionally, to help guide you and make it easier, we’ve put together a checklist you can follow for winter maintenance for your roof and both the exterior and interior of your home.
Tasks for the Beginning of the Season
- Clean the chimney if you use your fireplace or a woodstove for heat.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts to enable water to run off the roof.
- If you plow your driveway yourself, be sure the snow blower or plow truck is operative and ready.
- Replace window screens with storm windows. If you don’t have storm windows, at least remove the screens.
- Drain garden hoses and store them in a garage, basement, or covered area.
- Place screens over intake vents in order to prohibit rodents from coming inside as they seek warmth.
- Notice any tree hazards that can be a potential risk to the house or safety from heavy snow or strong winds.
- Check for air leaks around windows and doors where warm air can escape and cold air can enter. Install or replace weather stripping if needed.
- Have your furnace or heating system inspected by a professional.
- Install, or add to, attic insulation. Have a professional inspection if you suspect that you have heat loss through the roof.
- Turn off water valves that supply water to hose spigots outside.
- Inspect pipes that are on exterior walls for proper insulation.
- Get your HVAC system inspected and calibrated when it has a humidifier. And, make sure the drain is clear.
- Check batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
Tasks for Maintenance During the Winter
It’s critical to inspect your home frequently during the winter so nothing develops that you are unaware of. Depending on the severity of the weather, you may want to perform these tasks weekly or more often.
- Keep monitoring the roof for ice dams and damage. If you have icicles hanging from the roof line, this can be a sign that you have a poorly insulated attic and can lead to the potential for ice dams to form.
- Keep driveways and walkways clear of snow between storms.
- Keep large snowdrifts away from your home’s exterior.
- If you experience heavy snow, be sure your roof can sustain the weight. If it cannot, use a roof rake to remove the snow.
- Use sand and/or gravel for traction on walkways. You can use a combination of salt and ice-melt substance but pay attention to the operating temperature range.
- Maintain your snow removal equipment.
- Replace your HVAC filter(s) every three months.
- If you experience deep cold temperatures that are less than 15 degrees for more than 24 hours keep all the interior doors open so heat can circulate within the house.
- Keep checking on windows and doors for drafts.
Contact Us to Help You Maintain Your Roof and Home During Tough Winter Months
Our team of roof experts at Allied Roofing Solutions is ready to give you a hand before and during the harsh winter weather. We can provide a roof inspection that will bring to light any potential issues that can cause damage from the cold and wet weather. Call us to be preventative or when you suspect you have issues. We serve New Jersey residents in Bergen County, Essex County, Hudson County, Middlesex County, Morris County, Passaic County, and Somerset County. Call us at 201-773-0633 or complete the free roof estimate contact form to schedule an appointment. Let us help you protect your home from roof leaks in the winter months.